Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Raw Food Journey...

Well, it's been almost 2 weeks since my kitchen has gone 100% raw. I will have to admit I started out okay, but faded off at the end of the first week. I have a tendency to like snacky things when stressed and the last couple of weeks have been really busy and very stressful so chips and soda made their way back in. But that was the past, and today is a new day!

The dehydrator I ordered arrived today and I'm already making things to help with the munchies. I'm making flax seed crackers, salt and vinegar potato chips and lemon poppy seed cookies...awesome!! That will cover any craving that might pop up! The crackers are awesome with salsa or a slice of nut cheese.

The key to staying on this program is being prepared and having things that you can just grab quickly. Try to think out of the box. When you've eaten the same way for so long, you tend to gravitate to the same old things. When I think of a raw-only salad my mind automatically snaps to the traditional lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions and nuts, or maybe an apple and walnut salad but there's so much more! It's just becoming more mindful of options and trying something different instead of sticking with the tried-and-trues.

This is a week of new recipes. I wanted to make things as easy as possible when I started out, but quickly realized variety is going to be very important for me. So I found some neat meals to try...tomorrow it's gazpacho (never been a fan of cold soup, but this sounds pretty good so I'm game), then raw ravioli for Friday and I found a great kim-chi recipe that might just become a staple in my ice-box!!

Getting connected will also help keep you on track. It's so much better when you do things with others. My Mom and I have a friend who is thinking of joining us on this journey as well as a cousin who seems pretty excited about this! I've joined a raw food group at our local Earth Fare (natural grocery store/food co-op) and can't wait to learn from others who are eating this same way! Community is a great thing! Be well...

No comments: