Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Sweeties...

Meet Malone (left) and Reba (right). These are my sweet ones, or scoundrels depending on the time of day. Never underestimate how an animal can change your life or inspire you. Let's take Reba for example. She's 10 lbs, 16 years, spry as a 2 year old, very determined, a little stubborn and never misses an opportunity to surprise you! Ah...so much like her mama! Except for the spry part!

Take a couple of days ago. There were several errands to run, so in usual fashion I secured the dogs in their crate, checked the rest of the house to make sure it was puppy proofed - just in case - and then headed out the door feeling quite comfortable that things were tightened down and put safely away from curious little paws.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived home to find Malone peering out at me from the front window, as if his job was to be the lookout! Oh my...what would I find inside? But I had prepared and puppy-proofed things so there should be no worries...or so I thought.

Upon entering the house I found my sweet pups running around the sofa in delighted play, oblivious to the fact that something had just occurred that mommy might not be too happy about. I then began to find evidence of foul play...the breach of garbage and recycling cans!!

Now, this was no easy task for Reba because my cans are all on wheels and have latching handles. As I stood there upset at first, my thoughts quickly shifted to appreciating what just happened here. A small, obviously disobedient, strong-willed pup did the unexpected. She succeeded her goals in the most challenging situation.

Hum...what can I learn from this moment? 1) More obedience training and 2) take a lesson from your furry low-rider!! Our pets are more our teachers than we realize (;

No comments: