Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Weight Loss and the New Year...

Mighty fine in 2009!! That's my motto for this year. After so much change in our family and within my own life, focusing on health always seems to be pushed on the back burner. But after Mom's health scare and a focus on trying to get her better, she's lost close to 70 pounds and only a few pounds away from the weight she was in college!! Now, I wouldn't want to do it the way she did, but it's helped me to see there are more important things than eating a pint of rocky road in one sitting!!

Food has always been a comfort for me, especially in chaotic times. I put on a considerable amount of weight over the years while helping to care for my Grandmother and just never took the time for myself to change the old habits.

But no more!!! This is a new year! A new day! I've eaten organic for quite some time and thought the next step would be to begin a holistic eating plan. But I found myself becoming more food obsessed than ever before. The plan required measuring everything, eating certain foods on certain days, and eating at least 5 to 6 times a day! I understand the theory behind each step, but it became too cumbersome and overwhelming. So once again I gave up.

Then I came across several blogs discussing the benefits of a raw diet. One in particular that helped begin my search was Sara's blog Walk Slowly, Live Wildly. She's such an awesome nature mama and so inspirational! Her blog has a wealth of info and I recommend you stop by her site!

Another site I happened upon belongs to Alissa Cohen. After reading part of her book online, we seemed to have the same type of experience toward food so I thought I'd give it a try and ordered it! I'll let you know how things go, how I get started and my progress. Here's to a new year and a new lifestyle!!!

No comments: